Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Great Apps for Math Teachers, and others too :)

Desmos graphing calculator, available for free on the web and as a free iPad app.  Allows students to graph equations and manipulate them.  

Common Core State Standards, iPad app.  Allows you to quickly view the CCSS for Language Arts and Math.




 SplashTop, iPad app that allows you to remotely access your desktop. Great for using with an interactive whiteboard so you can walk around while writing on the board.



Padlet, formerly Wallwisher, allows you to communicate thoughts on a wall simultaneously.  Great for exit tickets.  Available free online or as a Google chrome app.  There is talk that our students will receive Google Chromebooks as incoming freshman, so this would be a great app for them to put thoughts down, even anonymously if they want, for the teacher to see either during or after class.
MyScript Calculator, allows the user to hand write a problem and then it calculates the answer.  Also turns equations into typed form so you can copy and paste it into other documents.  Free for the iPad.








Math Workout, mental math workout game to improve basic skills.  Great for all levels.  Available as a free trial with a $.99 upgrade.



Algebra Touch, allows user to manipulate various difficulties of equations.  Great hands on learning.  Available for iPhones, iPod touch, and iPads for $2.99.





Math Ref, contains over 1400 formulas, figures and examples for math, chemistry, and physics.  Available as a free trial for iPhone and iPad, with a $1.99 upgrade fee.  


Khan Academy, math and science tutorial videos available for free on iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad.  Also available online at www.khanacademy.com




Gradebook Pro, electronic grade book   I've just downloaded this but based on the reviews it's a great portable grade book   You can use it to input grades, take attendance, add notes.  For me it seems like it will be a much quicker way to show students their grades rather than having to pull up their grades on our school's online grade book  which is typically very slow to log in to.  


Last year a county wide math grant that I am a member of purchased iPads for all of the teachers in the grant.  I have to admit I didn't use it much last year.  I plan to try and use some of these apps this year to enhance my students' learning.  Students are very comfortable with mobile devices, many have one on them 24/7, so I need to find a way to incorporate them into my classroom, other than using them as a basic calculator.  Based on the readings from this module, I will definitely be considering ways to incorporate mobile learning into my classroom and convincing others to do the same.  Why take away a technology kids are familiar with when it can be used to help them learn?

Currently our school allows cell phones to be used during passing periods and at lunch but they are not allowed to be used in the classroom.  Students are allowed to bring laptops, but many don't have them.  There is talk that each incoming freshman will be issued a Google Chromebook to carry with them to each class.  When I first heard this I was immediately against the idea.  However, after researching many different tools that students can use a laptop for in the classroom to support their learning, I'm beginning to think it will be a good idea, even in a math classroom.  Instead of handing out paper exit slips, students could log on to our classroom padlet and answer the question or post questions they have, even anonymously.  Instead of teaching kids how to use a handheld graphing calculator, which most students do not know how to do, we could log on to desmos and graph together, something they can do at home, as long as they have internet.  These are just a few of the ideas I've come up with as a result of this module.

3 comments:

  1. These seem pretty interesting. I've messed around with Splashtop before and it's neat. That Myscript calculator looks awesome. I'll have to let my math teacher know about these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are great!! I sent a few links to our math teachers because they are always looking for interesting apps like these. We have used the Khan Academy tutorials after watching his Ted Talks and the students respond really well to having another voice teach the concepts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree in letting students use their mobile devices in class. It really opens up more learning opportunities and they seem to love it. When I did my research for my area (US and World history) I was disappointed in how little there is out there for game-based learning for high school students. I feel like there is lot more cool apps for math and science. Hopefully as I do more research I will find some cool apps.

    ReplyDelete