Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Think Outside the Box



Ian Gilbert says “but how can we have children who are happy with diverging away from the concrete world of right answers if we’re not modelling to them how to take risks, try new solutions and innovate?”  How can we expect students to think outside the box when we are lecturing in front of them expecting them to simply memorize information?  In my experience, when I let kids make up their own rules in math class, which isn’t very often unfortunately, they are much more likely to remember the information and use it to solve problems than if I simply tell them how to do it.  They take ownership in what they have learned and want to use their newfound theory in their work.  However, schools in my area that focus solely on letting students learn this way and focus on problem based learning perform poorly on ISTEP and ECA tests, so how can I possibly completely change the way I teach even if it means letting the kids get so-called real world experience and let them think outside the box?  I’m stuck in a bad spot.  I want to let me kids explore topics on their own and discover how to solve problems without me, but I also know that at the end of the year I’m evaluated on how well they perform on the ECA.  If I can incorporate more technology into my classroom maybe I can still give my students the freedom to learn on their own while I am still in charge.  


I wholeheartedly feel that students learn differently today, they are all about technology in every aspect of their lives.  But how in the world am I supposed to change what I already know works?  It’s a scary jump to consider, but I’m willing to if that means engaging my students more.  


Below is my short video that I created.   I think it quickly sums up how many students today think about school.


References


Gilbert, I. (2009). Nothing is more dangerous than an idea when it’s the only idea you’ve got. Why do I need a teacher when I’ve got Google?: things every teacher should know (pp. 42-46). London: Routledge.



7 comments:

  1. Dear Melodie,

    I like the way you have created your blog with a strong message supported by a video. I was taught the way with teachers spoon feeding us and this technology based education in a short time has given me lots of information I never have known before. Good presentation

    Thanks
    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you that as teachers we are always caught in a tight spot. There is a pull towards what we have known to work but there is also this pull towards change due to changes in our student population. I have only been teaching for three years but I have been amazed by how many new theories and strategies we have tried to use. The readings did really help me to think about subtle ways in which I could incorporate more technology without compromising an overall achievement plan. I am thinking right now of using more out of the classroom blogging or readers response journals but I am still working through the plan in my head :) I'm looking forward to reading more about your ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's frustrating, as teachers, we want to be creative and utilize different methods for instruction, but it seems our creativity has to be put to the side sometimes because of standardized testing such as the ECA. I completely agree with you that it is scary to try and go off on your own and to make "the jump," but I think once we do it, we will see the results that will benefit everyone; from the student, to the teacher, to the administration, and beyond.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Melodie,
    You make some great points about the handcuffs that are placed on educators because in the end our job is based on a test score. Like you, I have noticed that when students are given a little bit a leeway with an assignment or project amazing things happen. Yes, it is scary and risky as we really aren't sure what the outcome is going to be, but if we are to embrace this generation of students we must do it. You made the comment toward the end of your post that you know the current method works. Is that because your students are able to produce desirable results on the ECA? And do you think that it is possible to implement the 21st century skills and still maintain those passing ECA scores?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I'm hesitant to try new methods because my students are successful on the ECA. It scares me to think that if I change my ways my job could be on the line as a result. However, I do think I can implement things like graphing calculators into my classroom to give students a better grasp on graphing concepts. Will they ever really use a graphing calculator in the real world? Probably not, but for some it may make graphing much easier and make more sense. I try as much as possible to include real world problems into my classes because I know it really gets them thinking and gives them experience with problem solving, but it's so frustrating that often times kids give up or don't even attempt these problems. So again, I'm stuck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be nice if we could just teach our kids how we see fit. Each student is different and so are the schools that they attend. The teachers are the ones that know what is best for the student. To me the ECA's do little to prepare are students for the challenges they will face in society. I wish it didn't have to be this way but I think that we are going to have to find a way to implement innovative instructional practices while guarunteeing increased test scores. And like you said, if method does not work our job could be on the line.

      Delete
  6. I am absolutely fascinated with the idea of using digital technology to aid in your math classroom mostly because I can't wrap my head around how that can be used other than games (not that those should be discounted at all!). I wasn't bad at math in school, but I may have enjoyed it a lot more if we had been able to apply it to things we did every day. I'm excited to see what you come up with! Also, I'm hoping this building resistance against the avalanche of standardized testing will break through and allow teachers more leeway in how and what they teach (which definitely makes more sense from what we know of digital natives).

    ReplyDelete